SCORE: Wheaton 23 - Anna Maria 8
RECORDS: Wheaton (1-0, 0-0 NEWMAC) - Anna Maria (0-1)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Diane C. Nordin '80 Field)
- The Anna Maria men's lacrosse team opened the 2019 campaign with a 23-8 loss to Wheaton College Wednesday night on Diane C. Nordin '80 Field.
- First-year Pete Chisholm led all players on the night, scoring a double-hattrick in his first collegiate appearance. Alex Stombergfollowed up with five goals and four assists while CJ Leighton contributed a hattrick and two assists.
- The Lyons also found help from Matt Morgan, Alec Morin, and Gil Bach who each scored two goals, while Alex Berg, Ben Stomberg, and Josh Talanian each had one goal apiece in the win.
- Sophomore Troy Sliney won 21 out of 29 faceoffs on the night and picked up a game-high 13 ground balls, while sophomore Trey Kaufmann led all players with three caused turnovers.
- In his first start of the season, Chandler Miller made 10 saves in 51:26 minutes of play.
- Brandon Pavoni led Anna Maria with three goals and two assists, while Ryan Morley finished with two goals and an assist. Cameron Perry, Zion Mercado, and Eric Glover each finished with one goal apiece while Kai Nero Clark led the AMCATS with four ground balls in the loss.
- The Lyons dominated the first quarter, scoring five unanswered goals with Leighton contributing to four. After scoring three more goals at the start of the second quarter (8-0), Anna Maria was able to use their one-man advantage to finally get on the board at 5:55 and followed up with another goal at 1:48 to set the scoreline at 8-2 as the teams headed into intermission.
- The AMCATS found momentum in the third quarter, scoring four goals in 10 minutes of play to cut their deficit by four, but the Lyons responded and used the remaining four minutes of play to go on a 6-0 run to end the quarter 16-6.
- Wheaton continued to put their stamp on the game as they headed into the fourth quarter, outscoring the AMCATS 7-2 to finish the game 23-8.
- Shots: Wheaton 60 / Anna Maria 26
- Ground Balls: Wheaton 41 / Anna Maria 16
- Clears: Wheaton 10-12 / Anna Maria 13-16
- Face-Offs: Wheaton 25-35 / Anna Maria 10-35
- Saves: Wheaton 11 / Anna Maria 13
The AMCATS will be back in action this Saturday with their home opener against cross town rivals Becker College. That contest is scheduled to start at 1 PM.