MARLBOROUGH, MA - In the AMCATS (0-3) home opener versus the Nazareth Golden Flyers (3-0), the squad dropped the contest, 8-0 Friday evening at the New England Sports Center.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Golden Flyers struck first in the match at 10:46 when Makena Wiljanen (Brighton, MI) capitalized on the power play after Madison Schroeder (Allen Park, MI) and Keeley Rose (Clayton, NY) swung the puck around for Wiljanen to put a one-timer past AMCATS goalie, Julia Smith (Chillwack, BC). Nazareth tacked on a second goal three minutes later when Wiljanen put her shot past Smith's right side.
- Nazareth continued their offensive output in the second period when they posted five goals by Taylor Hudon (Alexandria Bay, NY) (9:18), Hailey Redders (McFarland, WI) (12:22), Rachel Rice (Plano, TX) (14:33), Redders (15:18), and Schroeder (18:43) respectively.
- In the third period, Wiljanen completed her hat trick for the Golden Flyers at 3:59 after she fired a shot past a diving Smith for the 8-0 lead.
- During the contest, Anna Maria had their chances to get on the board but was turned away each time. At 4:47 in the first, Grace Dodge (St. Paul, MN) generated her own offense and put a shot on net, but Noelle Giroux (Windham, NH) made the pad save.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Smith made 43 saves in her first collegiate start. Meanwhile, Giroux collected five saves for Nazareth.
- Nazareth held the edge in power-play opportunities, 5-3.
- Anna Maria was outshot by a margin of 51-5.
- Five different AMCATS had shot opportunities tonight: ((Niamh Cote (Tewksbury, MA), Dodge, Kaitlyn Korpach (North Battleford, SK), McKenna Naumchik (Somers Point, NJ), and Samantha Rodriguez (Corona, CA)).
Anna Maria and Nazareth finish off their two-game set tomorrow afternoon at 3 PM at the Blackstone Valley Rink in Hopedale, MA.