PAXTON, MA - Despite a late first-half goal from Hezekiah Adeyeye (Woonsocket, RI), the Anna Maria men's soccer team (4-12-0, 1-6-0) was topped by Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) member, Colby-Sawyer College (CSC) Chargers (4-7-3, 4-3-0) by a score of 2-1 Tuesday afternoon at AMCAT Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Anna Maria peppered CSC goalie, Lucas Boetsch (Rockport, ME) with 11 shots before they struck first at 39:27. The AMCATS drew a foul near mid-field and Steven Makynen (Uxbridge, MA) sent the free-kick to the 10-yard marker off a Charger defender. Adeyeye corralled the loose ball for a one time rocket past Boetsch's left side for the 1-0 lead.
- When the second half started, CSC found the back of the net at 54:18. Miguel Contreras (Cucuta, Columbia) forced a turnover in Anna Maria's end of the field and crossed a pass to Ahamad Raji (Lagos, Nigeria). Raji then squeaked a shot past AMCAT keeper, Jeffre Donahue (Rockland, MA) to even the contest at one.
- Three minutes later, CSC scored the eventual game-winner at 57:06 off the boot of Contreras. Mason Galbato (North Easton, MA) sent over a cross pass in front of the box to Contreras on the right side of the net. Contreras handled the pass and put a shot past a diving Donahue's left side for the 2-1 advantage.
- The squad had their chances after the CSC goal with four shots on net. Two shots from Adeyeye were stopped by Boetsch, Nick Lawrence (Attleboro, MA) and Simon Berry (Londonderry, NH) each had a chance but could not find the equalizer.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Adeyeye and Lawrence's six shots paced the AMCATS offense, Isaiah Battle (Glendale, AZ), Berry, and Alex Nichols (Tinton Falls, NJ) rounded out the top-five with two shots respectively.
- Donahue made six saves on the day, Boetsch collected 11 for the Chargers.
- Anna Maria and CSC each had 21 shots on the afternoon.
- The AMCATS doubled up the Chargers in corners with an 8-4 advantage.
Anna Maria has a few days off before resuming GNAC play when they travel to Lassell University on Saturday, October 19th at 12:00 PM. Colby-Sawyer College continues GNAC play on Saturday, October 19th at 4:00 PM traveling to Albertus Magnus College.