CRANSTON, RI - The Anna Maria men's soccer team (4-11-0, 1-5) were topped by Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) rival, Johnson and Wales Wildcats (11-2, 6-0) by a score of 10-0 Saturday afternoon at the Scotts Miracle-Gro Athletics Complex.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Wildcats started things off right away when JP Rioux (Stony Point, NY) scored at 2:06. Riley Spotton (Ronkonkoma, NY) sent a cross pass over to Rioux near the box and put a shot past AMCATS goalie, Jeffre Donahue (Rockland, MA) for the quick 1-0 lead.
- Johnson and Wales would not stop there after Riley McNicholas (Hopkinton, NH) increased the lead to 2-0 at 18:45. Rioux sent over a cross pass that found McNicholas near the net for the header past Donahue. The Wildcats went on to add three more goals in the half from Nick Gutekunst (East Northport, NY), Kevin Reilly (Norwood, NJ), and Jehon Balidemaj (Bronx, NY) at 33:28, 35:34, and 44:43 respectively.
- Once the second half got underway, Johnson and Wales continued where they left off as they posted five more goals from Reilley, Gutekunst, Gianni Lisa (Emerson, NJ), Garrett Groeling (Nutley, NJ) and Esteban Osorio (Central Falls, RI). The Wildcats scored their goals at 46:01, 54:40, 63:14, 65:44, and 66:56 respectively.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Donahue and Kyle Sherman (Mount Laurel, NJ) split time in net. Donahue was dealt with the loss after he made seven saves, Sherman ended with three.
- Owen Ribeiro (South Dartmouth, MA), Jacob Friedman (Woodland Hills, CA), and Austin Scoggin (Cutchogue, NY) all shared time between the pipes making one save. Scoggin earned the win for the Wildcats on the day.
- Alex Nichols (Tinton Falls, NJ) had the only shot for the AMCATS as the squad was outshot 36-1.
Anna Maria will look to get back in the win column when they take on GNAC member, Colby-Sawyer College on Tuesday, October 15th at 3:00 PM. Johnson and Wales has some time off before resuming GNAC play when they host St. Joseph (CT) on Wednesday, October 16th at 4:00 PM.