PAXTON, MA - The Anna Maria women's soccer team (2-1) bested Mitchell College (0-2) Saturday afternoon in non-conference action at AMCAT Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Anna Maria came out firing in today's contest as they were able to almost score 18 seconds in the match after Briana Riley (Bluffton, SC) saw her shot trickle just across the goal line before the Mariners were able to boot the ball out of bounds. In the first half alone, the AMCATS had nine shots but just could not find the back of the net thanks to the great play of Mitchell's goalie, Yordi Slover (West Hampton, NY).
- As the scoring drought continued for both sides, the 'Cats still were able to generate multiple scoring opportunities and finally got the break they needed. At the 45:54 mark, freshman Alexandra Rowland (Leicester, MA) found the back of the net. Rowland gathered the ball and took it past her defender as she put the ball past Slover's weak side for the goal.
- The AMCATS strong defense was fully on display today as the squad allowed only eight shots, which included five saves from Rachel Matloff (Grafton, MA) who registered her second shut out of the young season.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Anna Maria outshot Mitchell 20-8 in today's contest.
- Rowland led the team in shots with five, rounding out the top three were Keannah Dunsmore (Georgia, VT), Sydney Owen (Haverhill, MA), and DeAnna Baker (Lansdale, PA) with four and three respectively.
- Slover, while dealt the loss, helped keep the Mariners in today's match with her 10 saves on the afternoon.
Anna Maria will look to extend their win streak to three as they travel to Northern Vermont-Lyndon on Wednesday, September 11 at 4:00 PM. Mitchell College has a few days off before they host Fisher College on Wednesday, September 11 at 3:30 PM.