NEW HAVEN, CT - Paced by Meghan Sonia's (West Tisbury, MA) two goals, the Anna Maria field hockey team (7-6, 3-2 GNAC) exploded for a 5-0 win over Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) member, Albertus Magnus Falcons (1-9, 0-5 GNAC) Saturday afternoon at Celentano Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Chayna Bingham-Hendricks (Mashpee, MA) started the scoring off for the AMCATS at 8:39 of the first quarter. Anna Maria drew a penalty corner and Abigayle Celata (Baldwinville, MA) sent her pass to Bingham-Hendricks near the top of the scoring zone. She proceeded to weave through Falcons defenders and sent a shot past Albertus Magnus keeper, Mikayla Lyston's (Medford, NY) left side for the 1-0 lead.
- The AMCATS continued their offensive output in the second quarter when Sonia notched her first of two goals. At 24:31, the 'Cats had another penalty corner and Celata sent her pass into Lauren Lapierre (Worcester, MA) a tad outside the scoring zone. Lapierre found an open Sonia near the net and after a couple of dribbles, Sonia ripped a shot past Lyston's right side to increase the lead to two.
- Before the half ended, the squad tacked on one more goal from Calli McLaughlin (Rutland, MA) at 29:22. After a scramble for the ball in Falcons territory, Celata sent a pass across the Albertus Magnus defense to McLaughlin for the deflection goal to give Anna Maria the 3-0 lead headed into halftime.
- As the third quarter got underway, the AMCATS added another insurance goal off the stick of Anne Melanson (Grafton, MA) at 32:31. Melanson got herself free and blasted a shot at the top of the scoring circle past Falcon defenders and Lyston for the 4-0 advantage.
- Sonia scored her final goal at 43:00 off Celata's second assist on the afternoon. Celata collected the ball off another Anna Maria penalty corner and stumbled to the ground while she got her pass off to Sonia. Sonia corralled the pass and put her shot past Lyston's right side to make the score 5-0.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Hannah Tobey (Falmouth, MA) and Cassandra Micklesavage (Pottstown, PA) split time between the pipes, Tobey earned the start and improved her record to 6-1.
- Lyston finished with 13 saves on the afternoon for the hosts.
- Today was Sonia's first multi-goal game of her career.
- McLaughlin and Melanson's goals on the day are tied for the team lead (5).
- Anna Maria outshot Albertus Magnus, 25-2.
- The AMCATS blanked the Falcons in penalty corners, 18-0.
- The squad has won six out of their last seven contests and has outscored opponents, 27-5.
Anna Maria will have some much-earned rest before they host GNAC powerhouse, Saint Joseph's (Maine) on Wednesday, October 23rd at 7:00 PM. Wednesday's game also marks their Pink Game which you can donate to by clicking HERE. Meanwhile, Albertus Magnus continues GNAC play when they host Simmons University on Saturday, October 19th at 11:00 AM.