PAXTON, MA - The Anna Maria field hockey team (4-5) had an offensive explosion against the Dean Bulldogs (1-4) for the 10-0 win in non-conference action. The AMCATS offense was guided by two goals from Lauren Lapierre (Worcester, MA) and Brittney Cherry (Worcester, MA). Calli McLaughlin (Rutland, MA), Allyson Shaw (Holden, MA), Chayna Bingham-Hendricks (Mashpee, MA), Meghan Sonia (West Tisbury, MA), Abigayle Celata (Baldwinville, MA) and Anne Melanson (Grafton, MA) each netted goals of their own too.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first quarter was all Anna Maria as they controlled the offensive pace outshooting Dean 18-0. As the offense peppered Dean goalie, Alexis Massie (Woonsocket, RI), The Cat's finally got a shot past at 8:33 when the squad drew a corner. Celata sent the penalty corner to Melanson who was waiting near the top of the goalie box and collected the ball, sent a pass into a scramble in front of the net and Lapierre saw an opening to put a shot past Massie for the 1-0 lead.
- Shortly after, the AMCATS capitalized on another penalty corner opportunity at the 12:55 mark. Celata took the corner and passed the ball into Bingham-Hendricks who then kicked it back to Celata. Celata saw a passing lane and sent the ball across the front of Massie and McLaughlin sent it past Massie's right side to make it quickly 2-0.
- As the second quarter got underway, the squad continued right where they left off in the first when they scored only a minute and 20 seconds into the quarter. Anna Maria had another corner opportunity and Melanson collected the pass from Celata and blasted a shot on net but was turned away by Massie.
- When the ball deflected off her pad and into the air, Bingham-Hendricks raced to the loose ball and took a shot of her own but her shot was also saved. However, she collected the rebound and sent a cross pass to Cherry who put the ball past Massie's left side for the 3-0 lead.
- Anna Maria would go onto add two more goals in the half one from Cherry off another Bingham-Hendricks assist and then another goal off a corner that was beautifully set up by Shaw to Lapierre. Celata passed the ball into Shaw who was at the top of the box, she then lobbed her pass into the front of the net where Lapierre was there to knock down the ball to give Anna Maria the 5-0 lead headed into half time.
- The AMCATS would go on to three more goals in the third quarter (Shaw, Bingham-Hendricks, and Sonia respectively.) Anna Maria would also tack on two more goals in the fourth quarter from Melanson and Celata. Throughout the contest, the squad's defense kept the Bulldogs at bay holding them to one shot on the afternoon.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Anna Maria outshot Dean, 57-1 which is a new program record.
- Melanson totaled 12 shots on the day which marks a season-high.
- The AMCATS held the advantage in penalty corners, 10-0.
- Hannah Tobey (Falmouth, MA) improved her record to 3-0 on the season.
- Massie finished the day with a season-high 23 saves for the Bulldogs.
Anna Maria has a few days off before they continue their road trip traveling to Lassell University on Saturday, September 28 at 12 PM. Dean will get right back into action when they travel to Rivier University on Thursday, September 26 for a 7 PM contest.