PAXTON, MA - Led by two goals from Calli McLaughlin (Rutland, MA) and Anne Melanson (Grafton, MA), the AMCATS (3-5, 1-1) came away with the 2-1 victory over Johnson & Wales (1-7,0-1) in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) action this morning at AMCAT field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Anna Maria struck first in the contest with 1:55 remaining in the first quarter with the AMCATS putting on the offensive pressure pushing down the middle of the field when Chayna Bingham-Hendricks (Mashpee, MA) blasted a shot on net but was turned away from Wildcats goalie Grace Pendergast (Berlin, MA). However, McLaughlin was in front of the net to collect the deflection and slipped the ball into the left side of the net for the 1-0 lead.
- The squad wasted no time in the second quarter and added to their lead when Johnson & Wales had a turnover in their own end of the field and Bingham-Hendricks came up with the loose ball. She then pushed the ball upfield and sent a pass to Melanson's stick and the ball was deflected up in the air, and Melanson beat Pendergast for the ball as she knocked the ball down into the cage for the 2-0 advantage.
- Johnson & Wales threatened shortly after the 'Cats got their second goal when Jillian Miele (Wilmington, MA) created an opening for herself and put the ball on net, but Hannah Tobey (Falmouth, MA) made the kick save to go along with her six saves in the contest.
- Both sides continued to battle in the third and into the fourth quarter, but Johnson & Wales were able to cut the deficit down to one after Miele found an opening in a scramble in front of the net to make the score 2-1. The Wildcats could not generate another scoring opportunity for the rest of the fourth as Tobey and the AMCATS defense shut down Johnson & Wales to secure their first GNAC win.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Tobey's six saves are a season-high, and Pendergast collected four saves for the visitors.
- Bingham-Hendricks' two assists mark a season-high for the junior student-athlete.
- Melanson and Bingham-Hendricks tied for the team lead in shots with three, McLaughlin and Allyson Shaw (Holden, MA) rounded out the shooting for Anna Maria with two shots respectively.
Anna Maria has a few days off before hitting the road on Tuesday, September 24 for a 3 PM contest versus Dean. Meanwhile, Johnson & Wales will continue their road trip traveling to Wheaton on Wednesday, September 25 at 4 PM.