LEICESTER, MA - The Anna Maria field hockey team (1-5) was edged out by the Becker College Hawks (4-2) in a tightly contested non-conference matchup at Alumni Field on Tuesday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first quarter saw great play from both squads as each went back and forth but it was their defense's that kept the game scoreless. While the first quarter ended 0-0, each side had their own chances to score but just could not find the back of the net. The AMCATS almost struck first at 5:35 when Chayna Bingham-Hendricks (Mashpee, MA) sent a rocket of a pass through the Hawks defense and found a cutting Allyson Shaw (Holden, MA). From there, Shaw collected the pass and tapped the ball to Brittney Cherry (Worcester, MA) who was running on the left side and she sent her shot to the left corner but was turned away by Becker's goalie, Baileigh Griese (Woodstock, NY).
- Beker had their own opportunity in the first at the 6:51 mark when Lauren Niemann (Bay Shore, NY) got open and sent a shot toward the net but Anna Maria goalie, Cassandra Micklesavage (Pottstown, PA) turned her attempt away keeping the score tied. The 'Cats had another chance at 12:14 when Bingham-Hendricks sent a pass from a penalty corner to Abigayle Celata (Baldwinville, MA) who put a shot on net but was knocked down by Griese.
- Competitive play continued throughout the second quarter and into the third, but the Hawks broke the scoreless tie 45:50 into the contest when Emily Iacovelli (Northbridge, MA) collected a pass from the 40 and pushed the ball upfield. Once she was in the box, Iacovelli put the ball on net and past Micklsavage for the 1-0 lead. However, in the fourth, the AMCATS almost had a chance to send the contest into overtime. Anna Maria drew the penalty corner and Bingham-Hendricks received the ball and sent it into the box where there were multiple AMCATS. The ball found Meghan Gillis (Brockton, MA) for the deflection attempt, but the shot ended up going just wide of Griese.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Anna Maria outshot Becker 9-4 on the day.
- Micklsavage ended the day with one save and Griese recorded three saves.
- The AMCATS edged the Hawks in penalty corners, 5-4.
- Bingham-Hendricks led the squad in shots with three, Celata was right behind her with two, and four different AMCATS each had one shot (Cherry, Gillis, Anne Melanson (Grafton, MA), and Shaw).
Anna Maria returns home on Thursday, September 19 at 4:00 PM when they host Bridgewater State. Becker has some time off before they continue their homestand on Tuesday, September 24 at 4:00 PM versus Simmons.